Friday, June 6, 2014

We Interrupt Your Regularly Scheduled Program

Hello! Amy's husband Dan here.

So I've been asked to do a guest post for Amy's blog. Well, not so much a "guest post" as it is an explanation as to why Amy hasn't been able to create her regular posts in a timely manner. So here goes.





Lemme tell you about a thing called Geek Squad Academy! Geek Squad Academy is a community outreach program that's near and dear to my heart, providing inspiration for boys and girls ages 8-18 to pursue various technical fields such as programming, robotics, photography, animation, and good digital citizenship. It started out with a week-long camp in Chicago back in the summer of 2007, and has since expanded not only nationwide but has also gone from being a summer event to a program that runs throughout the year. I have been involved with the program in one way or another from instructing a class on how to shoot and edit video at my first camp in 2010 to administering a total of 20 camps over two summers nationwide in 2011 and 2012.

PC Basics class, with Girl Scouts of Northern California - 2010
So what does all of that have to do with Amy's blog? Well, I've been granted the opportunity to go on tour once again this summer for 2014 as a camp administrator or "Field Lieutenant" for quite a few camps, and all this prep for my tour (with my first camp at MCB Camp Pendleton - oorah!) has made Amy take on more of the tasks here at the house - consequently giving her less time to create her posts.

Trust me, folks. I'm a professional.
From the outside looking in, the role of a GSA Field Lieutenant seems like a solo effort but from my experience it really is a role where my entire family takes part. While I'm gone for five days at a time for each camp, Amy and the boys have to put in the extra effort to keep the house together with one less person to help out. I couldn't - and wouldn't - have taken this role without the support and blessing of my entire family, and I'm truly blessed to have them back me 100% to further this cause.

So there you have it. This year we're doing several camps across the country, and if there's one near you I wholeheartedly invite your kids to check it out!

(NOTE: The opinions and views expressed in this post are solely my own, and do not reflect those of my employer - Best Buy. Furthermore, I was not compensated in any way by Best Buy or The Geek Squad to create this post - being chosen to participate in this epic program is its own reward.)

No comments:

Post a Comment