Wednesday, January 15, 2014

DIY Hair Accessory Storage

Not gonna lie. This whole baby girl thing is A M A Z I N G!

But there are SO many little things that were totally unexpected. Today, we're gonna tackle one. 

What on earth do you do with all the hair accessories?!?!?!

As adorable as this is, I do not recommend trying to get your infant to wear every head wrap in the house.
Oh, and no babies were harmed in the making of this most excellent collage. 

After asking all of you Mammas of daughters on the Lissiegirl Blogs! fb page, and searching through Pinterest boards,  I finally have a solution! 



There were a ton of pictures of Mammas converting oat containers into accessory holders. 

Simple, inexpensive and completely customizable. 

Uhh..yes! 


What I used:

*1 empty can of oats - already had
*1 bottle of Elmer's School Glue - already had
*Scissors - already had
*1 small bottle of paint - totally optional. I had a 50% off coupon for JoAnn's, so it only cost me $1.65
*1 paint brushes - snagged a 2 pack while at JoAnn's for .98c
*2 12"x12" pieces of scrap paper - .59c each at JoAnn's
*1 spool of stick on ribbon for scrapbooking - $1.00 at JoAnn's
*1 candle stick - also optional. I wanted it to be off the counter to avoid getting wet. I couldn't find any at the local dollar stores! Lame. But, Target had this one marked down to $4. It sorta blew the desired budget, but still kept me under $10.

Step one: Make the Mod Podge. For a simple craft like this, there really isn't a need to purchase. It's so expensive! I just needed enough to make the paper stick to the oats container.


Simply pour 1 bottle of Elmer's School Glue into a bowl. Fill the now empty glue bottle with 3/4 bottle of water. Pour it into the glue & mix well. I stored what was left over back in the bottle & marked it so I would remember. If you have a spare mason jar laying around, that would work, too!


Put your paint & Mod Podge to the side.

Step 2: Trim the scrapbook paper to fit the container.


I just held the paper up to the oats container and trimmed around the top. After that, I eyeballed another 1/4", and cut it to fit under the lip. It was perfect.

Step Three: Mod Podge the paper to the oats container. It took 1 & 1/2 sheets to wrap all the way around.


Step Four: Cut out a circle to fit into the lid.


I traced around the outside of the lid, and then cut a bit on the inside of the mark. It fit perfectly inside. I used the Mod Podge to glue it to the lid.


Step Five: Peel the ribbon and place it around the edge of the lid and the bottom of the container.


I really like the finished look it gives.

Step Six: Start painting the candlestick! This part is completely optional. After so many years of just boys, I finally have the option to use pink, purple and glitter. I'm gonna use it every chance I get! lol!


Warning! I am crafting challenged, so I was a bit lost on this step. lol! This took several coats and hours of drying. i ended up leaving it to dry over night.

GLITTERRRRR!!!!!!! 
It sorta looks like a Kinder craft, but hey...it was my first time. I'm happy with it!

In the morning I did the final step: I glued the container to the candle stick. 



I went a little glue crazy. Probably could have used a lot less...lol! 

Then, I moved it over to the counter to dry while we got started on our schoolwork


Yay! All done!!!!

Now, time to fill 'er up! 


Seriously...how cute is that?! Yay me! 



It fits perfectly in the corner of our downstairs bathroom, right next to the braid that holds all of her pretty bows!! 


There ya go! Super easy. If I can do it, anyone can! 

5 comments:

  1. This is so cute! And I'm SO jealous of your camera-toting husband! You photos (even though they are inside and IN a bathroom, no less) are great. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I totally encourage you to continue your jealousy, Nicole, all of the photos in this post were shot and edited by Amy! :)

      Granted, the Sony RX100 we use helps a LOT when it comes to dealing with the less-than-ideal lighting in our house, but as the old saying goes, "the single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." ;)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been saying that I was going to make something like this for little M's bow collection-- thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea and have been meaning to make it. Thanks for the reminder! I also like that you added in the cute pedestal.

    ReplyDelete