Monday, January 13, 2014

Easy Peasy Mac n Cheesy

I will never buy packaged mac n cheese again!

Seriously, this is the easiest, yummiest, mac n cheese I've ever made.

Yeah, it will cost a bit more than boxed, but it's made with ingredients I can control, and adding the meat, makes a real meal, so it's totally worth it.






It really is super easy!

Start by putting a pot with 4 quarts of water on the stove to boil, then grab your ingredients.

I forgot to put flour in this photo. Woops!
You'll need:

*1lb of small pasta. Shells/elbow/bow tie...whatever suits your fancy!
*2 cups of milk. I've used half & half and even cream too...soooo good!
*1/4 cup of flour
*1/2 tsp garlic salt
*1/4 tsp pepper - I love the look and flavor of ground pepper!
*1tsp onion powder
*2 cups of shredded cheese. I found this "mac n cheese" blend at Target & it turned out great! But, feel free to use your favorite.
*1/8 tsp hot sauce. Tapatio is a really nice flavor in this. Tobasco is a bit "vinegary" for me. My fav is Siracha, but we were out, so I went with the Tapatio.
1lb Kielbasa - next time we're gonna try thick cut bacon. Mmm...bacon...


While the water is heating, cut your Kielbasa. First cut it in half, then lengthwise, then chop.



The pot is still heatin' up, so use the time to brown the meat. We like it a bit crispy on the edges.


If the water is boiling, go ahead and add the pasta! If it's not, that's okay, just toss it in when it is and cook according to package directions.

Go ahead and move on to the sauce.

Pour the milk into a pan & turn to a med heat.

Then add your flour, garlic salt, pepper, onion powder and whisk 'till blended.

Keep whisking 'till it comes to a boil.



Whisk 'till thick & creamy, then add the cheese.

Mmmmm cheeeeese...



Whisk till the cheese has melted and it's all ooyyy gooooyyy yummmmmmyyyy.

Add the hot sauce.

Don't forget to taste! Feel free to add more salt/pepper/hot sauce.

If I was making this only for me & the Hubbs, it would have much more pepper & hot sauce.

By now, the pasta should be nice & al dente. Drain & put into a serving bowl.

Pour the sauce over the pasta and mix till well combined.



Top it with the Kielbasa, serve it up & enjoy!

Ben doesn't like Kielbasa, so he enjoys the mac n cheese alone. 

This makes a perfect lunch or quick week night meal. It made enough for 2 adults, 3 very hungry boys & the cutest baby girl in the world. =D



10 comments:

  1. We love macaroni in our house. This one sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! I've never added sausage to my mac and cheese but I'll have to try it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a woman after my own heart....love garlic, onion, hot sauce for seasoning....and ground pepper. Yum! Looks like a easy fix meal and my boys would definitely eat this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super easy. All done from the time you start the water 'till it's done boiling. How awesome is that!?

      Delete
  4. Your daughter is a cutie! And I love the recipe. I'll pin it!

    ReplyDelete