Monday, May 19, 2014

Cool Whip Frosting

About a year or so ago, my kids decided they no longer liked butter cream frosting. 

This is an accurate portrayal of my reaction to the statement: "Mom, I don't like this frosting." 
Being a die-hard buttercream fan, this came as quite a shock to me! I tried to convince them with tweaking the recipe a bit here & there, but nope. They have officially crossed over to the dark side.

I guess the Filipino half of them is starting to take over their taste buds! lol!

Buttercream has always been my go-to frosting for cakes and I'm not a fan of the whipping cream frosting you get at the bakery, so I had no idea what I was going to do.



After searching Pinterest for recipes, I found several that use this method. Looked simple enough and had the option of mixing flavors, so I gave it a whirl.

I was very surprised how GOOD it turned out! This has become the recipe that frosts the kid's birthday cakes.

**Unless they want chocolate. Hershey's buttercream chocolate frosting (recipe on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa box) is the absolute best frosting in the history of ever.**

The recipe is so simple.

All you need is:

**1 8oz tub of Cool Whip
**1 3.5oz box of pudding mix - I happened to have white chocolate in the cupboard. Mmmm
**1 tsp vanilla - or really any flavor you want.
**I cup milk

The box of cake mix and the leftover chocolate pieces from Easter season were hanging out in my pantry. You can use whatever cake and mix-ins you want!

Have fun with the pudding/cake/flavor combos! I am a huge vanilla fan, so I use vanilla cake, vanilla pudding and TWO teaspoons of vanilla extract. So. Good.

It only takes a few minutes to make this frosting, so I usually wait 'till the cake has completely cooled. Once the frosting is mixed, it's ready to go!


1. Pour the milk, vanilla extract and pudding mix into a bowl. Mix until well combined.

2. Dump in the Cool Whip

3. *Fold* the Cool Whip into the pudding mix.

4. Fold until there are no streaks.

5. Frost!



 

There ya have it! Quick, easy, inexpensive and delicious!



1 comment:

  1. I may try this. I really like taking a jar of vanilla frosting and folding in cool whip. It really lightens the flavor and texture and tastes homemade with so little effort. I used it on my daughter's birthday cake and it was wonderful. I would imagine the pudding/cool whip frosting would be similar.

    ReplyDelete