Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Library Book Bags

A few months ago I decided that since we live within walking distance of the library, perhaps we should actually go to the library. I know, I know...what a novel idea! ha! It's one that I've considered a few times, but it was hard to get the kids interested. We have a bunch of books at home & I have loads on my tablet, so they really didn't get the point. But, after dragging taking them, and forcing helping them to check out a few books, the light bulb sorta went off in their heads, and we've been going faithfully (every 3 weeks) ever since. Now they can't seem to get enough! We enjoy our walk there, having our lunch and playing at the park & then browsing through the books. It's gone from something they dread, to something they anticipate with excitement!

The only downside: having to juggle the stroller and all the books on the walk home.

The solution: book bags!

That's simple enough, right? Um. Wrong. I have 3 boys. I can't just get them any ol' bag. Well, I guess they wouldn't really mind, but I wanted to get them something they'd actually like to carry around. I just couldn't find anything that fit the bill....and the budget.

Then, I thought to myself:  Why not make them?!

So, I did!

JoAnn's had a 50% off sale for the canvas material, the comic material was 25% off  & I had 2 50% off coupons!!! I was able to easily fit this project into our budget. Praise the Lord!!


Here are my Library Book Bags.

Please, let me know what you think! I'm considering selling them. I still have to practice a bit to get the stitching just right, but I think one or two more bags & I'll have them exactly the way I want them. Private message me via facebook if you are interested!

This is the first bag I completed. It's a bit off-center, and my stitching is a bit wonky, but all in all, I think it turned out great! It's Star Wars Comic, and exactly what Dan Jr. wanted. He loves it! That's really all that matters. <3





Here are all 3 bags. Ben has Retro Marvel Comic & Jo chose Retro Star Wars Comic. They are a HUGE hit with all 3 boys!


Don't let the size of these bags fool ya! They hold a TON of books! This was today's haul.


Ben's bag is the far L (can you tell he's not a big reader? lol!), Jo's stack is in the middle & Dan's is on the far R.

They love their bags! The whole walk to the library they were talking about all the different ways they can use them: sleepovers, road trips, piano lessons, and more! You should have heard them go on and on... they were so  excited to break them in!



I am so glad I was able to do this for them. It makes my heart so happy.

*sigh*

This really is the best job in the world.

2 comments:

  1. They look great! You forgot to mention the library card pocket! That's the best thing!

    ReplyDelete